Thursday, 13 May 2010

Writing a Curriculum

I've wanted to write a curriculum on and off for years, going back to when I was still at Uni, and long before I'd even considered home-schooling.  There's always the question of *what* to write, however.

I have a few ideas, and I think my first project will be a book list, for teaching different maths concepts to children from 3-7 years old.  So it wont be a curriculum as much as a resource for other people to use.  I've developed this list myself through working with my own children and finding books to teach them mathematics concepts.

I think my second project will be a phonics program, using the Bible.  It will provide a list of letters and their sounds and Bible verses a word that uses the sound can be found in.  Again, it's not a curriculum so much as a resource.

For a third project I think I will have a similar book list to the first, but some suggestions for teaching basic grammar concepts (such as questions, speech, nouns, exclamations etc).  Although it's probably not necessary since most decent books would have good examples of most grammatical concepts, at least those needed at 3-7 years old!

Perhaps my third project will be editing (for common use) a game I've made for my children of "silly sentences".  We've found some online but some of them aren't well constructed and so don't make a lot of sense with a significant proportion of the possible combinations.

They should give me enough to do in my spare time for now ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment